1. As a member of both the Ramjas English department and Wordcraft, the literary society, ‘Cultures of Protest: a Seminar Exploring Representations of Dissent’.
2. The cultures of protest we want to preserve are not violent; they are those that strive for peace and democratic space to dissent. The ABVP, on the other hand, seems to stand for little more than mindless brutality and a devout allegiance to assaulting anyone who does not agree with their narrow-minded outlook on life.
3. The ongoing row between rightist students’ wing ABVP and the Leftist SFI at Ramjas College in Delhi found a resonance on the University.
4. Clashes broke out between members of the RSS-backed Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) and the left-affiliated All India Students’ Association (AISA) at Delhi University’s Ramjas College on Wednesday over the cancellation of a seminar invite to Jawaharlal Nehru University students Umar Khalid and Shehla Rashid.
5. Mr. Khalid was arrested on sedition charge in 2016.
6. Trouble started after a planned protest march by some students to the Maurice Nagar Police Station was disallowed.
7. Police resorted to a lathi charge to bring the situation under control.No one has been detained so far in connection with the incident.
8. On Tuesday, the ABVP locked down the college seminar room and pelted stones in protest against the invite to the two students, saying they are “anti—nationals“.
9. A section of teachers, students and members of the AISA, agitated over the college’s decision to “bow down” to “threat to freedom of speech” had decided to march to the Maurice Nagar police station, demanding action against ABVP members for alleged vandalism.
10. College Principal Rajender Prasad said he was in discussion with the teachers who were organisers of the event and requested both the groups to not disrupt the peace and harmony in the college.
Written By- Bhanu Lodhi